Thursday, September 27, 2007

I often think outside of myself. What I mean by this is that I leave who I am, that undoubting evangelical Christian who believes that the Bible in its completeness speaks truthfully concerning all reality, and I think outside that. Sometimes, this is not a good thing and not a healthy act for my faith. One who is not Christian would think that this would be a liberating practice for me, and yet it has not proven to be liberating in any sense. I have times where I'll question the doctrine of the Trinity, or once I thought of this idea: there is objective ultimate reality in this universe; so question about that, but our barrier to that reality is semantics and language and communication. Every religion attempts to communicate and put to words the fine doctrines of that reality and every religion is basically trying to the say the same thing, but in different ways. I thought it sounded like a cool-sounding theory, and yet it's not true. To my reasoning and philosophical mind it might sound good, but it's not truth. If it was truth, it would be liberating and yet the only place I've found liberation is in Jesus Christ.

You know, it's simply not true to say that Christianity is not plausible because it's based on blind faith. Every belief system in the world, including atheism must operate on a premise of blind faith. Human reasoning falls short of filling in all the gaps and so every belief system requires a blind leap of faith. Naturalistic science even rests on a premise that must be taken by faith: that reality can be discovered through scientific inquiry assuming the world is indeed based on rational laws. When it comes down to it, no human being really KNOWS, at the most foundational levels, anything.

This is where there is liberation in Jesus Christ. My God recognizes humanity's shortcomings and says to trust Him instead of leaning on our own understanding. OBVIOUSLY. It is our trust in God that fills in those gaps which we cannot possibly come up with a logical conclusion about. This is one of many revelations which points to God.

Really, the question is not, "Does God exist?" To ask that question is to be talking about something other than God and betrays ignorance of who God is. God cannot not exist. It's a logical and objective impossibility because the very definition of God demands God as the ground of all existence. God is that person, that reality which fills in all the places our reasoning cannot reach.

I have more to say, but that's enough for now.

No comments: