Friday, January 8, 2010

My Thorns-A Wise Reponse in Humility

The song I'm about to post the lyrics to explains the whole concept of thorns as figurative terminology (taken from Scripture) for those weaknesses we have which plague us. Nobody is without them. We usually seek to play on our strengths, and hide our weakness. I have many myself. My whole life, my first reaction toward my moments of weakness has been discouragement and giving up. At one point in my life, I thought it pleased God for me to be so hard on myself, and now I know different, although I have still been tempted to slip into that. It brings God no glory for us to rip ourselves apart.

I asked the Lord for the zillionth time yesterday about how to steward myself when I go through a season of consciousness regarding my weaknesses because I have come to realize that it will never go away forever on this side of Heaven. God told me for about the zillionth time since I've asked Him, "Nathan, do not beat yourself down and do not try to conjure up some great feeling of joy that isn't there. Avoid those extremes, and just allow the pain of it to humble you. That's all it's meant to do." When we allow these things that are like thorns in our side to humble us, great joy does result and they become like a gift from God.

Bitter thoughts became your every waking breath
Save the nights your hollow dreams revealed the sweet release of death
In your thoughts you played a symphony of self
But your soul had bled a darker song of close to nothing left

Oh, The deliverance of blade and flame, your love
And greater is the blood

You’ll find it in the veil of night where solitude is born
In the emptiness of broken flesh, at the mercy of the thorns
You’ll find it in the veil of night where solitude is born
In the emptiness of broken flesh, at the mercy of the thorns

Every line a path into an empty heart
Where the words of now forgotten love fall silent in the dark

Oh, The deliverance of blade and flame, your love
And greater is the blood

You’ll find it in the veil of night where solitude is born
In the emptiness of broken flesh, at the mercy of the thorns
You’ll find it in the veil of night where solitude is born
In the emptiness of broken flesh, at the mercy of the thorns

Sister, don’t you sleep through your own eulogy
Don’t sever what you are for what you couldn’t be

You’ll find it in the veil of night where solitude is born
In the emptiness of broken flesh, at the mercy of the thorns
You’ll find it in the veil of night where solitude is born
In the emptiness of broken flesh, at the mercy of the thorns

You’ll find it in the veil of night where solitude is born
In the emptiness of broken flesh, at the mercy of the thorns
You’ll find it in the veil of night where solitude is born
In the emptiness of broken flesh, at the mercy of the thorns

No comments: